Warm smell of colitas rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim, I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway, I heard the mission bell
And I was thinkin' to myself, "This could be heaven or this could be hell"
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor, I thought I heard them say
"Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (any time of year)
You can find it here"
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes-Benz, uh
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys that she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget
So I called up the Captain, "Please bring me my wine"
He said, "We haven't had that spirit here since 1969"
And still, those voices are calling from far away
Wake you up in the middle of the night just to hear them say
"Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
They're livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your alibis"
Mirrors on the ceiling, the pink champagne on ice
And she said, "We are all just prisoners here of our own device"
And in the master's chambers, they gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast
Last thing I remember, I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
"Relax, " said the night man, "We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave"
Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Glenn Lewis Frey / Don Felder / Donald Hugh Henley
Hotel California lyrics © Red Cloud Music, Fingers Music
People also ask
What's the story behind the song "Hotel California"?

Posts: 12228 | Registered: September 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fifth Column Freeper
Picture of MAXIMUS PANDAMONIUS
posted Hide Post
We are just prisoners here of our own device.

Fifth Column Freeper
Picture of MAXIMUS PANDAMONIUS
posted Hide Post
The Eagles' song "Hotel California" is about the dark side of the American dream and excess in America. The song's lyrics were written by Glenn Frey, Don Henley, and Don Felder, and the instrumental was developed by Don Felder. The song has been interpreted as a commentary on the hedonism, self-indulgence, and greed of the music industry in the late 1970s. It has also been described as being about American decadence, burnout, too much money, corruption, drugs, and arrogance.

Wikipedia
Hotel California - Wikipedia
The song has been described as being "all about American decadence and burnout, too much money, corruption, drugs and arrogance; too little humility and heart." It has also been interpreted as an allegory about hedonism, self-destruction, and greed in the music industry of the late 1970s.

ABC News
5 Things You Might Not Know About The Eagles' 'Hotel California'
Jan 19, 2016 — Glenn Frey was the mastermind behind the song's lyrics. The late Glenn Frey penned the lyrics for the hit song along with band members Don Henley and Don Felder. ... The song is about "excess in America" While there have been many theories that contemplate what the song represents, the Eagles' band members have revealed in multiple interviews that the true meaning behind "Hotel California" is a commentary on the hedonism and self-indulgence of America. ... 3. " Hotel California" originally had a different name.

The Sound
Is 'Hotel California' a real place? The story behind The Eagles' hit song
Apr 21, 2022
The song's imagery and cryptic references create an atmosphere of mystery and intrigue. The hotel in the song represents a metaphorical trap or prison from which one cannot escape, symbolizing the excesses, materialism, and spiritual emptiness of the entertainment industry.
According to Henley, the concept of the song has to do with taking a look at all the band had gone through, personally and professionally, while it was still happening to them. Beverly Hills became something of a symbol and the "Hotel" the locus of all that L.A. had come to mean for them.
In 2017, the Eagles filed a lawsuit against the owners of a hotel that sold merchandise bearing the name "Hotel California". The Eagles claimed that the hotel perpetuated the myth that the band was associated with the hotel.

Yeetcow
Picture of Jefiner
posted Hide Post
I think that song means something to everybody.

My take is that the singer is in a very posh mental institution (think Malibu rehab). It isn't much of a stretch.

The Eagles? One of the GOATS. 1rock1

Don't pet the fluffy murder cow.

Posts: 4550 | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post