Go
New
Find
Tools

:crickets:
 Login/Join

Picture of Norman Bates
posted

Posts: 129 | Location: Madness | Registered: October 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Norman Bates
posted Hide Post
Eating crickets can be good for your gut, according to new clinical trial

I love Mother

Posts: 129 | Location: Madness | Registered: October 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Norman Bates
posted Hide Post

I love Mother

Picture of Norman Bates
posted Hide Post

SPECIAL NOTE TO RAISEDBYPOODLES!

STOP PLAYING WITH YOUR FOOD.

I love Mother

Picture of Helel ben Shaḥar
posted Hide Post
My cat plays with every bug (except those huge roaches) until they wear out and fall apart. He runs from roaches.

My old grey kitty would destroy roaches. He could also snatch mosquitos out of the air. Mo (the grey mouser) was a real killer.

"Covfefe!"

The member formerly known as Libertarian

Posts: 6033 | Location: SouthCentral Texas | Registered: August 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Bates:
STOP PLAYING WITH YOUR FOOD.

Did you know you can get tapeworm by eating live crickets?

True story. This little 5# princess ate a cricket.

We were loading the car for a trip to the desert. While we were going in & out the front door a cricket jumped into the house. We didn't know until I saw her chowing down on something. SPIT IT OUT!! She did. She eats lint too. DH says it's because she needs more fiber. Roll Eyes

Anyway, the night we came back to CA there was a tapeworm segment in her potty! Red Face I was freaking. It was late, we were exhausted, and you don't run to the vet ER for tapeworm, right?

We speculated on every imaginable possibility of how she could have eaten a flea because we don't have fleas. Not here and not at the NV house. The LGDs don't even have fleas, ever. There simply are none at all.

After a tortuously long google session I finally found it. It IS possible that crickets may eat tapeworm eggs found in the dirt. If the live cricket is eaten... voila!

I googled the tapeworm life cycle, got out the calendar, and counted the days from our departure. Yep. To the day.

DH went to the vet for the magic pills 1st thing next AM. Most of the conversation was their insistence and his rebuttal re: YOU HAVE FLEAS! YOU NEED FRONTLINE! and blah blah blah.

He came home with just the Droncit; only enough for her. Problem solved. /shudder To this day we still have zero fleas anywhere.

Don't eat live crickets! Wink

>>>

"LIVE! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death. LIVE! LIVE! LIVE!" Auntie Mame

>>>

I never asked for trust funds. They were thrust upon me. Have pity.

<<<

Posts: 3025 | Registered: August 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Another fun fact:

Years ago Junior, a tuxedo cat, liked to go on hunting trips. It was usually just 2-3 days at a time. One time he was gone for 2 weeks. I was frantic.

When he came home he was a mess. His ears were black, inside & out, with ear mites. I stewed over what a PITA it was gonna be to get rid of them. He was a barn cat and I was gonna have to wrestle him to put stuff in his ears for days or longer. Frown

I started thinking about it and reasoned that if Advantage killed fleas, it should kill ear mites too. It did! In less than 12 hrs they were gone. He had washed himself up completely. His skin healed up in a few days, and all done!
1dance1

The vet frowned about that too. Roll Eyes

Edit: It was Advantage that I used. It was before Frontline came on the market.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: raisedbypoodles,

>>>

"LIVE! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death. LIVE! LIVE! LIVE!" Auntie Mame

>>>

<<<

Picture of Norman Bates
posted Hide Post

I love Mother

1003 Tard Points
Picture of Jemima
posted Hide Post
Land Shrimp, it's what's for dinner!

We don't have fleas either, but still have tapeworm problems with one of the dogs. He eats rodents. He hunts them down and gobbles them up as special treats. We use SafeGuard horse wormer, double the dose per weight to kill tapeworm. It never occurred to me eating insects other than fleas were a tapeworm problem, but yeah, the only other chronic tapeworm was in the old cat who ate crickets and grasshoppers.

Long time ago I had to treat livestock for tapeworm because of barn cats sleeping in the hay. It's not an expense I want to have again.

Posts: 1232 | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I knew SafeGuard was ok for dogs (worms) but I didn't know it kills tapeworm. Thumbs Up

Before Advantage came out we had the flea problem with the barn cats too. The vet supplied Droncit by the bottle. Everybody had flea collars and we dipped the cats when they got bad. OMG. I won't go into how we did it but it was well, bizarre, yet effective. (no humans or cats were injured other than their pride)

Advantage was a miracle. The cats & dogs became mobile flea killing machines.

I was at the feed store one day when a man was asking for anything & everything for his cats' fleas. He wanted ALL the stuff for the cats and for his house. I was trying to be nice and help him so I explained about the Advantage and how all the fleas would be goneski in just a few weeks. Nope. Too expensive. He left with way more stuff than the cost of the Advantage. He's probably still doing the same to this day. smh

One more: I watched somebody trying to dust their chickens with Sevin for mites once. That was painfully hilarious. I walked over and grabbed a chicken by the legs and flipped it upside down. I'm sure you already know what happens when you do that.

I had them spread the wings out and dust it all over. Ok, but the chicken's dead! Right? I set the bird down and of course it toodled away.
lmao

>>>

>>>

<<<

1003 Tard Points
Picture of Jemima
posted Hide Post
I dust everyone, porches and yard with diatomaceous earth. It doesn't affect my good insects much and doesn't poison anyone who snacks on carcasses.

Raking horse shit everywhere prevents fleas too. If my dogs pick up fleas out on a hike, they hit the horse shit when they get home. Munch a few turds and roll in fresh stuff gets rid of fleas as well as anything.
Cow dogs and cats can't have ivermectin, it makes them sick. Last time I looked many years ago, the once a month flea stuff was ivermectin.

Dipping cats sounds like a lot of fun. Be sure to get a video next time!

Posts: 1232 | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I had no idea about the fleas vs horse shit. It's pretty much everywhere since we let the horses in the yard areas too. They eat the fire fuel down to the dirt. Oh yeah, dogs love horse shit. Yum yum. Fresh & warm is best. Thumbs Up

>>>

>>>

<<<

Picture of Norman Bates
posted Hide Post

I love Mother