Uncle Bob's World Famous Fora    Uncle Bob's    Uncle Bob's  Hop To Forum Categories  Community Forums  Hop To Forums  Time Out!    Staying warm: What does an unheated room do to your body?
Go
New
Find
Tools

Staying warm: What does an unheated room do to your body?
 Login/Join

Picture of Alaska
posted
Mention deadly cold and I think of polar explorers with icicles dangling from their beards and mountaineers tackling the heights of Everest; of fingers turning black with frostbite and the chilling clutch of hypothermia.
So I was sceptical when I was asked to take part in a cold experiment that took place at just 10 degrees Celsius. Yes, 10C.
To me that's mild, nowhere near freezing and certainly no Arctic blast. Surely we'd have to go much colder before putting a strain on the body? I was wrong.
"It sounds mild, but it is a real physiological challenge," Prof Damian Bailey, from the University of South Wales, tells me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-63602501

Posts: 8510 | Registered: November 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alaska
posted Hide Post
10C = 50F

Posts: 8510 | Registered: November 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dissimulo
posted Hide Post
Kind of a dumb experiment to relate to real world conditions. I have gone long periods of time with my house at 50 degrees or even a little colder. When your house is that temperature, you don't sit in a chair wearing shorts. You wear warm clothes. You might pile on a blanket if you are going to be sitting for a while. You move more. You go outside and stay active during the day. You eat soup and drink tea.

Posts: 2879 | Registered: April 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1003 Tard Points
Picture of Jemima
posted Hide Post
My sister in a high mountain resort community keeps her thermostat set at 54 through the winter, even though your babies turn blue. I offered her $30 to let us be warm for Christmas. She wondered why nobody wants to visit her.

At 67 she's wracked with autoimmune and endocrine issues. She confessed she had to turn the thermostat up and still can't get warm.

I keep my place between 68-72 and wear wool, but I'm not afraid to bump it up or use blankets warmed in the dryer. I do like it cooler at nights while sleeping under a down comforter on a feather bed.

Posts: 1470 | Registered: October 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
43,174 Tard Points
Her Royal Tardiness,
The Alpha Purge-Mistress
"Cares With A Fist"
Picture of Traitor Vic
posted Hide Post
I am in hot ass Texas and have enjoyed the past two weeks in the 30-40s. We keep our thermostat at 66-67 and love it. It makes the exercise bike and treadmill so much enjoyable. And when we sit for a while, a light electric throw can get you over toasty quite fast. Berkshire makes some beautiful Sherpa ones.

Summer is one ugly bitch here. Probably worse than Arizona because it isn’t a dry heat in Texas.

My easy-going nature is gettin' sorely fuckin' tested.

Posts: 9656 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeetcow
Picture of Jefiner
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am liking the cool here right now. I do have a hot tub to plunge into when the toes get cold lol.

Don't pet the fluffy murder cow.

Posts: 4204 | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post