Uncle Bob's World Famous Fora    Uncle Bob's    Uncle Bob's  Hop To Forum Categories  Community Forums  Hop To Forums  Time Out!    King Fire 2.0
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Tools

King Fire 2.0
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you're referring to our personal animals? Not many, being retired & all. 2 guard dogs, 3 poodles, 2 horses. Horse trailer, kennels, etc are all in place and we have 2 local ranchers on the hill standing ready to assist 24/7. Our evac route(s) are to the west, one good road and 2 or more forestry roads. lol, 'good road' being a debatable term to non-rural peeps, but good just the same.

We haven't moved the horses, the closest evac center for them is 1 1/2 hr away. For the guard dogs, local evac center is full. The poodles go with us wherever we go, always. They're little. Their kennel is always in my car.

It was different during the King Fire, but this time they had to use the entire fairgrounds for firefight staging and for the evac-ed people from the east & south.

We're good. This is a tight knit community here on top of the mountain. King Fire, the only issue we had w/horse evac was 3 neighbors w/stock trailers parked down on the road, trying to decide which one would move our horses. We could take them out ourselves but my stock trailer has 3 tons of hay in it, which is a PITA to unload. (that's in addition to the 3 ton stack we just bought/stocking up for winter (attn: AK, lol)

GOOD NEWS:

As of this afternoon our fire line is nearing containment. They're mopping up, projecting release from evac status within 48hrs. Thank God! Still, we won't unpack immediately. Gonna wait a bit.

By the map, it looks like half the county is evac-ed. People & animals are being sent into NV. Even hotels are full as far away as the SF Bay Area (so I've been told).

191,607 acres/16% contained

Just learned : parts of NV being evacuated at Stateline, bad news for Tahoe. I hope they're all out by now. Afternoon update is live right now so I have to wait until it's over to watch the full video.

We appear to have dodged the bullet so far
mudbug

>>>

"LIVE! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death. LIVE! LIVE! LIVE!" Auntie Mame

>>>

I never asked for trust funds. They were thrust upon me. Have pity.

<<<

Posts: 3771 | Registered: August 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fifth Column Freeper
Picture of MAXIMUS PANDAMONIUS
posted Hide Post
Great post POODLES...you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 10444 | Registered: September 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
thx Max, always appreciated Thumbs Up

Update says 24hrs more of Red Flag but looking good for us. Tahoe area people & animals sent to Reno. (only escape route) Kirkwood is still ok. They're attempting to "herd" the north-eastward fire run into Desolation Wilderness & herd the south-eastward run between populated/structures to the east, into NV

Thursday winds & humidity looking good for county overall, giving hope for progress

Now if that all plays out and we don't get backtracked by an arsonist, political evil-doers, or stupid persons, there may be light at the end of the tunnel

>>>

"LIVE! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death. LIVE! LIVE! LIVE!" Auntie Mame

>>>

<<<

posted Hide Post
199,632 acres/18% contained

Part of Douglas County, NV evac ordered, CA source says voluntary, NV source says mandatory

(at the head of the fire moving eastward) They said in the last update that they were "herding" the fire through wilderness, as they can't stop it. Looks like it'll be herded into Douglas County

>>>

>>>

<<<

posted Hide Post
I found a good fire map, haven't determined update frequency yet

map

>>>

>>>

<<<

Picture of Alaska
posted Hide Post
I’m showing 5 to 18 km/h through 9/5 with mostly gentle convective air circulation in the evenings. Maybe with the army they have assembled they can make some headway.

Posts: 5582 | Registered: November 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alaska
posted Hide Post
20 Kilometers per Hour =
12.427424 Miles per Hour

posted Hide Post
207,931 acres/23% containment

The beast endures

Still in voluntary evac. I'm tired sigh

>>>

>>>

<<<

42 cryptotard comment points
Picture of dragon_rider
posted Hide Post
Hang in there. Renewing energy thoughts heading your way.

/this too will pass

Posts: 8265 | Location: bogansville | Registered: February 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alaska
posted Hide Post
With the winds dying down for a few days I would think they could get some substantial containment. How far north of Hwy 50 are you?

Picture of Alaska
posted Hide Post
I’m calling bullshit on the posted containment at 29% after starting at 19% after three days of virtually dead calm winds.

They have over a thousand national guard plus out of state loaners and over 20 aircraft with loaners flying retardant.

Watch this number jump to 80% when the heavy lifting is done and who ever is in charge has to give all the loaners back and deal with all the evacuees jamming the roads.

Someone is padding the calfire numbers.

/ymmv

Picture of Alaska
posted Hide Post
I have a brother in Virginia City / Reno who has been a volunteer fire fighter and watches these fires like a hawk. He thinks the same plus he gets to see the smoke coming across the valley.

posted Hide Post
We're released from warning status, had a bit of a celebration last night. Don't have any updates yet today.

Let the unpacking begin... after a few days of certainty

>>>

>>>

<<<

Picture of Alaska
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raisedbypoodles:
We're released from warning status, had a bit of a celebration last night. Don't have any updates yet today.

Let the unpacking begin... after a few days of certainty

Let me bring up nullschool.net

Picture of Alaska
posted Hide Post
Ok. Picks up a little bit to 20 km/h on the 7th but between now and then mostly in the 6 to 12 km/h range so pretty damn quiet.

You realize these forecasts degrade past 3 to 5 days but this looks pretty stable.

You should learn how to use nullschool, it kicks ass on the local weather men who mostly uses gfs which doesn’t have nearly the articulation.

Enjoy your unpacking!

posted Hide Post
Thx AK. itsme gave me a link to a really excellent site, set up for lil tards such as my self.

213,270 acres/32% contained
There's one hot spot along the line that threatened our area, but it's far enough from us to not be of serious concern. They plan to have that extinguished within the next 48hrs. Other than that they're managing to steer the fire as they had hoped, so far. It did dip down into Alpine county a bit though.

I spoke to one of the fire crew (on citizens band radio) last night. He was sitting in his dozer waiting to be reassigned to a different fire line. He didn't talk about the fire much. The locals got the chance to thank him and his crew that had come down from a different fire up north. We all let them know how much they're appreciated. That was special.

From a county FB page:

"WORLD WIDE HELP IS HERE. THANK YOU!

The CNMI Department of Fire And Emergency Medical Services. DFEMS, hosted by the U.S. Forest Service - Mendocino National Forest is one of the many crews onsite helping to contain the #CaldorFire. This crew from Saipan is 5,742 miles away, or half a world away from their island home in the Pacific. Saipan is the largest island of the Northern Mariana Islands, a commonwealth of the United States in the western Pacific Ocean. #saipan"

>>>

>>>

<<<

Picture of JimmyB.
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2096 | Location:  | Registered: April 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyB.:
Need more woo…

https://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/

I'm not sure that still falls into woo category Jimmy. Thx for the link Thumbs Up

>>>

>>>

<<<

posted Hide Post
215,400 Acres/44% contained

Eight fires have started within 35-45 miles of us in the past 48hrs. This is bullshit. Somebody is starting these fires.

(none likely to affect us, other than smoke)

There are individuals traveling around, making videos of the fires to post on social media or to sell to TV stations. One has a GoFundMe for his expenses. I find this suspicious. And then there's Antifa that announced last year that they planned to do exactly what is happening.

Another thing: why do these fires stop at the Canadian and Mexican borders?

>>>

>>>

<<<

posted Hide Post
And... I just now read that some morons came up here earlier to camp under one of the bridges and made a campfire. Mad Locals saw the smoke, Fire Dept dealt with it.

I think they're camping at the county jail now.

>>>

>>>

<<<