Uncle Bob's World Famous Fora    Uncle Bob's    Uncle Bob's  Hop To Forum Categories  Community Forums  Hop To Forums  Time Out!    Power Outage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Tools

Power Outage
 Login/Join

Picture of Shinmen Takezo
posted Hide Post
70 degrees and sunny here.
I'm gonna' take a walk on the beach.

Posts: 7029 | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Can Go Wrong
Picture of Charlie
posted Hide Post
41 minutes ago
Freeholder said:
However, once we are through this, I am going to make getting my wood stove installed a high priority item.
So, you’ve been here since Y2K. Tell me why you didn’t install that wood stove 20 years ago.

I'm sure Lard Ass has a woodstove along with a nice big pile of dry wood on hand. bible_thumper

Obama Sucks!

Posts: 11678 | Registered: May 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7 boner points
1,000,000 Chiappa Rhino Points
Picture of chicom
posted Hide Post
Five inches last night, 5 inches expected today, 8 inches tonight, and another 3 inches tomorrow. Then -5 degrees expected tomorrow night.

Freaking glorious. I love winter.

-------------------------------

Face down, or I'll make your heart stop beating with my mind.

Posts: 8238 | Location: Land of Violent Eschatological Buskers | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
43,174 Tard Points
Her Royal Tardiness,
The Alpha Purge-Mistress
"Cares With A Fist"
Picture of Traitor Vic
posted Hide Post
It was 5 degrees last night and 3 degrees the night before. The previous night we lost power from 3:00 am until noon, 9 hours. House went down to 48 degrees inside, even running gas fireplace. We have high vaulted ceilings which does not help.

Power ran from noon yesterday to 4:00am last night, so now it has been out for going on 12 hours. No generator either. Hubby decided running fireplace made it colder, even with glass doors closed, so off for now.

Our city run electric flipped a switch and went home. They said we’d have rolling 45 minute outages, which is major bullshit. Also, our water treatment plant is now offline and pressure down. We have filled all our 5 gallon Home Depot buckets with snow to melt for toilets. We have plenty of crates of bottled water to last a month.

I just miss my morning coffee though. Sadly, we have a ceramic cooktop, damn it! I so wanted the gas one, but we didn’t have a ventahood already installed and so we cheaped out and stayed electric. Dumb move.

We do have gas heat, but y’all know that doesn’t help diddly squat if it is your attic run system.

So there ya go Max. You wanted to know. It so very sucky the the big one. But when we built our cabin in NE Oklahoma 25 years ago, we roughed it just like this. Exactly like this, until we got it done, but we were a tad younger.

This too shall pass.

I blame the Democrats and Mexicans for stuffing our state so full of people, more so than we can comfortably handle.

Hell is upon us, grab a seat!

Posts: 8510 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fifth Column Freeper
Picture of MAXIMUS PANDAMONIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Traitor Vic:
It was 5 degrees last night and 3 degrees the night before. The previous night we lost power from 3:00 am until noon, 9 hours. House went down to 48 degrees inside, even running gas fireplace. We have high vaulted ceilings which does not help.

Power ran from noon yesterday to 4:00am last night, so now it has been out for going on 12 hours. No generator either. Hubby decided running fireplace made it colder, even with glass doors closed, so off for now.

Our city run electric flipped a switch and went home. They said we’d have rolling 45 minute outages, which is major bullshit. Also, our water treatment plant is now offline and pressure down. We have filled all our 5 gallon Home Depot buckets with snow to melt for toilets. We have plenty of crates of bottled water to last a month.

I just miss my morning coffee though. Sadly, we have a ceramic cooktop, damn it! I so wanted the gas one, but we didn’t have a ventahood already installed and so we cheaped out and stayed electric. Dumb move.

We do have gas heat, but y’all know that doesn’t help diddly squat if it is your attic run system.

So there ya go Max. You wanted to know. It so very sucky the the big one. But when we built our cabin in NE Oklahoma 25 years ago, we roughed it just like this. Exactly like this, until we got it done, but we were a tad younger.

This too shall pass.

I blame the Democrats and Mexicans for stuffing our state so full of people, more so than we can comfortably handle.

Tnx
for the update. I'm in Michigan. It's really cold here. SPENT the morning clearing massive amounts of snow. I'm tired...I can just imagine how you feel.

Wish you well T V.

Posts: 9738 | Registered: September 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hang in there, TV! That's cold by any standard.

Lots of little things you could have done but why bother in Texas. Hope this passes soon.

2021 has not been pleasant for the red states so far.

Posts: 757 | Registered: August 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7 boner points
Picture of chicom
posted Hide Post
I've been doing this with the same buggy, but with much more snow. Having a blast.

Posts: 8238 | Location: Land of Violent Eschatological Buskers | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tard Princess
Picture of Cankerblossom
posted Hide Post
No one has gas grills to cook on? Or any type of grill to use to cook? WTH?
No camping gear?

I don't get it

I'd be busting up wood furniture and cooking outside in a camp fire if I had to

I have a Kelly Kettle so I'd be having my coffee lol piss on that!

Does anything rhyme with orange?

Posts: 856 | Registered: April 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
43,174 Tard Points
Her Royal Tardiness,
The Alpha Purge-Mistress
"Cares With A Fist"
Picture of Traitor Vic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Webster:
Hang in there, TV! That's cold by any standard.

Lots of little things you could have done but why bother in Texas. Hope this passes soon.

2021 has not been pleasant for the red states so far.

I have a sister in Houston- Crosby area. They have had major outage as well. Her neighbor has a gas generator he fires up twice a week just to be safe. Loud as all shit too. He fired it up yesterday and it was dead as a door nail.

Sis told me that 20 people have died in the Galveston area from the cold. Sub-tropical Texans don’t prepare for what is not expected.

I feel like the Michelin Man with yoga pants, jeans and thermals on. Those stupid neck gaiters I bought for masks during pandemic in spring are sure appreciated now. Anything tight around my neck gives me hot flashes.

Heads are gonna roll when this is all over. Mostly due to the windmill issue.

43,174 Tard Points
Her Royal Tardiness,
The Alpha Purge-Mistress
"Cares With A Fist"
Picture of Traitor Vic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cankerblossom:
No one has gas grills to cook on? Or any type of grill to use to cook? WTH?
No camping gear?

I don't get it

I'd be busting up wood furniture and cooking outside in a camp fire if I had to

I have a Kelly Kettle so I'd be having my coffee lol piss on that!

Hubby says no to opening freezer or fridge. You lose capacity to cool. And we have a Traeger smoker. It needs electric to run hopper.

Too bad. I have a whole sausage bacon jalapeño pizza in the fridge. Cooked in last night in our few hours of electric allowance.

Also have a griddle and a charcoal grill. The stores here are closed and freezer fridge is off grounds so what should I cook? Peanut butter sandwich or kind bars? Also, all my camping crap was tossed when we stopped the camping routine due to so many idiots at the camp sites. Mr Coffee is my only hope.

I’ll survive, but will buy a French press or campfire coffee kit when this is over.

7 boner points
Picture of chicom
posted Hide Post
When all else fails, have at least one of these.

Fifth Column Freeper
posted Hide Post
Additional Outages
Fuel Shortages Develop In Western Half Of Texas
Power Prices Jump In Austin As Evening Sets In
Gov. Greg Abbott Calls For ERCOT Leadership To Resign
CenterPoint Energy Warns Power Shortages Could Last "Several Days"
Power Grid Crisis Spreads To Mexico
15 States Have Power Outages Due To Extreme Weather
Gov. Greg Abbott Requests LNG Exporter Freeport To Limit Gas Intake
Gov. Greg Abbott Declares ERCOT Reform
4.423 million Customers In Texas Without Power
Bloomberg's Javier Blas Warns "Blackouts Have Spread Again"
General Motors Idles Arlington Assembly Factory
Oncor Electric Delivery Warns Of "Controlled Outages" Across State
Temperatures In Tyler, Texas -3F On Tuesday Morning
ERCOT Hopes To Restore Power With More Generators Returning To Grid
The Southwest Power Pool Said Blackouts To Continue For The Second Day
Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo Tweets Weather-Related Death
Refinitiv Data Shows Arctic Air To Remain In Texas Until End Of Week
ERCOT Wholesale Electricity Prices Topped $9k Per Megawatt-Hour Overnight
Rolling Blackouts Morph Into Down Celular Networks
Texas Prepares For Second

Picture of JimmyB.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chicom:
Five inches last night, 5 inches expected today, 8 inches tonight, and another 3 inches tomorrow. Then -5 degrees expected tomorrow night.

Freaking glorious. I love winter.

So you’re just catching up with the Midwest-8 and plenty of snow outside my window..

Posts: 1847 | Location:  | Registered: April 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where do you stand on the windmill issue, TV? There seems to be lack of consensus as to which frozen industry contributed the most.

What Can Go Wrong
Picture of Charlie
posted Hide Post
They must build windmills to a different standard in Texas. We have bird grinders in Wisconsin and have heard no reports of them freezing up even with temps as low as -39 F.

Obama Sucks!

Posts: 11678 | Registered: May 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
They must build windmills to a different standard in Texas. We have bird grinders in Wisconsin and have heard no reports of them freezing up even with temps as low as -39 F.

I thought it had to do with the lubricating oils. Something Wisconsin would have planned for.

43,174 Tard Points
Her Royal Tardiness,
The Alpha Purge-Mistress
"Cares With A Fist"
Picture of Traitor Vic
posted Hide Post
So our power was out for 20 hours, came on at the stroke of midnight last night.

Our low yesterday was minus three. -3 degrees.

We just don’t do that here. Or at least, we didn’t ever before.

lmao

I’m having some hot coffee!!!!

Fifth Column Freeper
posted Hide Post
from GLP

Sorry for the long post, but people are really starting to piss me off, and I feel obligated to go on a bit of a rant here.
I see that there are quite a few people on GLP that are telling Texans “Suck it up wimps! It’s just a little cold! You would never last a day up here in the north!”
Well, I lived in Michigan from the time I was born until I was 54 years old, and I just moved to Texas a few years ago. I’ve lived through the Michigan blizzards of 1977, 1980, 1993, and so on, but the conditions that we are experiencing right now in Texas doesn’t compare to anything that I’ve ever experienced up north.
We have several million Texas residents who have been freezing in their homes for several days now without any electricity. Most of the hotels don’t have electricity either, and the few that do are completely booked up. Up north we never lost power for more than a few hours, and the roads were always plowed and salted if you needed to go somewhere for help. But down south, even if the roads were treated, it wouldn’t matter because almost everything is closed anyway, including most of the grocery stores.
Most homes have had their pipes bust because the waterlines aren’t designed for this type of weather. I live in an area that is surrounded by quite a few senior living communities, and most of them are without power right now. The cities aren’t designed to handle these types of conditions, because the last time that weather conditions were this bad in Texas was back in the 1800’s. So there aren’t very many good options right now for millions of families in Texas.
My sister, and her family of ten, recently moved from Boston to Fort Worth. They have been without power for almost 3 days now and have been huddled around their living room fireplace this entire time. I’m not sure what they would have done if they didn’t have a fireplace. They thought that they had a lifetime supply of firewood, but it’s almost gone already, and they are taking turns using the car to charge their phones. My sister says that she has never experienced anything like this in all the years that she lived in Boston. My nephew’s girlfriend was supposed to fly back to Boston yesterday, but most of the flights at DFW are canceled, so she as no idea when she will be able to go back.
So I know that all of this might seem like a big joke to people up north. It’s not as simple as putting on a sweater and driving slower. That works fine up north, but it doesn’t work that way in the south. As someone who has spent most of their life up north, I can promise you that this isn’t a joke. It’s a completely different type of situation when your living in a state where the infrastructure isn’t designed for long periods of freezing weather.

Cowbellist
Picture of Jefiner
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry that you have to deal with all that, TV.

I know this will go into the I told you so pile, but seriously, throw together a backpack kit with an alcohol stove (recommend Trangia), fuel (I use denatured alcohol) and a cup to boil water. It is amazing how far you can go when you can make a hot drink.

Hang in there. Warmer weather is coming, but I suspect the grid is gonna be fucked for quite a while. Dan Crenshaw said windmills are responsible for 65 gigawatts of power production, but are producing way less than 6 gigawatts right about now.

"There is nothing here but enjoyment. It's a buffet of madness and quackery, mixed with a bit of crazed horn dogs and thingsthatgobumpinthenight. -- Traitor Vic

Posts: 3564 | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall there was a deep freeze in Montreal/northern New England the winter of 98/99, one year before y2k rollover. It got my attention. It's why I have two wood stoves and other non-electric stuff.

I was prepared to lose power a couple weeks ago. (Unlikely, because it just never happens here.) Ordinarily my concern would be the chest freezer with hundreds of dollars of cat food, and cats who aren't used to eating anything else. This would not have been a problem because all I would have to do is throw all the food outside. Any other time of year, a different story.

I'm pretty sure I'm in better shape than my neighbors for an extended siege of cold weather from lack of power. As far as working from home, now that would have been a mess. Forced vacation.

AOC figured it out. Texas is ruing its lack of green energy.