Uncle Bob's World Famous Fora    Uncle Bob's    Uncle Bob's  Hop To Forum Categories  Community Forums  Hop To Forums  Time Out!    So, California is on fire again......
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Tools

So, California is on fire again......
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I hear ya Poodles.

Unless you've faced a runaway fire personally, I don't think most people ever get the utter helplessness you feel as you see the possibility or inevitability of everything you know and have worked for destroyed in a flash. That while you try to hone your life down to what is really important - people, animals we are responsible for, and maybe a few irreplaceable mementos.

BTDT. Hope you guys are spared - what a f'kin' mess.

Posts: 4466 | Registered: June 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Helel ben Shaḥar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raisedbypoodles:
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyB.:
It sucks that people are dying.

Wow JimmyB! You have a heart! Be careful, you might get a label slapped on you. Eek

Yeah, what a shame. Dying in a fire. Or living through it with nothing left but what you're wearing. Boo fucking hoo for the Libtards AND all the other people too. Cuz if the other people were really normal and really smart they'd all be somewhere else.

Fuck the farmers. Fuck the ranchers. Fuck the paycheck to paycheck fools. (Some are even conservatives! OMFG! Fuck 'em all!) Everybody in CA is THEY and THEY all deserve to die in a fire. Fuck 'em. Fuck the animals too.

Watch them burn here and here. popcorn

The ignorance and cold hearted callousness displayed by some in this thread is nauseating.

Back to watching OES so we know whether to pack up & bug out or just sit here and die in a fucking fire or maybe only lose everything as some of our friends have.

Peace out bitches. You won't get any pity from me if you or your pets or your kids or even your grand-babies ever die in a fire. Or any other way.
1beer1

Yep. Fuck them all!

What gets me is the constant hope that maybe the fire that burned you out in 31, 32, 33, 34..... and 51, 52, 53, 54..... and still in 14, 15, 16 will maybe skip you "this year" so sit tight with all of your stock and extended family until it is too late to save anything but the clothes on your back and two teacup Chihuahuas, which fit in your bra!

Fire sucks. With as much experience getting burned to the bedrock as these folks seems to have (and the recovery/bail-outs ever since FDR) you'd think they'd have 20 different contingency plans ready to roll on the first report of smoke 1,000 miles away!

I know fire jumps breaks, but why not big breaks around each building and concrete/asbestos/shingles or dirt filled eathship walls over concrete roofing and adobe walls. Add some nice basements with stored feed and water for everyone and thing to hang out in while Hell visits above. It doesn't seem that tough to me from here - seriously.

Big herds could be driven south or east to weather the fires in safe places - like packing house freezers. Uncle Sugar is going to bail everyone out right up until that Calexit vote is certified and signed. The Marshall Plan will probably still work afterwards too. (I hope you like steel Mills, tire factories and US military bases and testing facilities in the best lands. All running your puppet governments until Congress wearies of it and cuts you lose again. Look how well we treat the Marshalls, Guam, Kweajaleen, Bikini, DC, Puerto Rico and other US federal dependencies!)

"Covfefe!" - Kek vult

Posts: 5590 | Location: SouthCentral Texas | Registered: August 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jombi
posted Hide Post
Wow, Poodles. It just doesn't seem to be slacking up much. 3,500+ homes completely destroyed along with an untold number of lives. I don't think the news outlets are really giving the rest of us a true picture of how bad it is.
A friend's mother has had to evacuate 3 times - from 3 different places. She lands at one relative's home, only to have fire chase them out and on to the next. Her home is off Silverado Trail close to Sonoma. She has no idea if it's still there or not. If I heard correctly, the winds are supposed to be bad again this weekend for both NorCal and SoCal. Praying for you. Stay safe.

Posts: 146 | Registered: November 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
5 boner points
1,000,000 Chiappa Rhino Points
Picture of chicom
posted Hide Post
Evidently defensible space in the urban interface is an alien concept, and is known to cause cancer in the State of California.

Like I said, CDF will have those fires out as soon as they run out of fuel, or if it rains.

-------------------------------

Face down, or I'll make your heart stop beating with my mind.

Posts: 5371 | Location: Land of Violent Eschatological Buskers | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cowbellist
Picture of Jefiner
posted Hide Post
It is hard to create defensible space when the wind is howling and flinging embers at fifty mph.

Death by fire is horrible.

"There is nothing here but enjoyment. It's a buffet of madness and quackery, mixed with a bit of crazed horn dogs and thingsthatgobumpinthenight. -- Traitor Vic

Posts: 2690 | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
5 boner points
Picture of chicom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefiner:
It is hard to create defensible space when the wind is howling and flinging embers at fifty mph.

Death by fire is horrible.

We're doing just that in my little hamlet as we speak. I hear the loggers out my cabin window starting at 2am.

Ten years of long, hard work in the making. Finally pictures I took of the forest loading along with potential fire impact assessment sent directly to the Governor was the clincher.

I went balls deep into the ass of the environmental activists.

http://lmtribune.com/northwest...c1-3a31ea7196b7.html

We will be wildfire safe for the next century.

Spent my fair share deep within raging wildfires, and I won't let misguided popular politics or misanthropic environmentalism ruin my home.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chicom,

Posts: 5371 | Location: Land of Violent Eschatological Buskers | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Most of the fires were started by lightening the night of the wind storm. Some were ignited by downed power lines and exploding transformers. As Jefiner said, the wind in Napa was crazy - 50mph sustained/gusts 60-65mph. The raging wind was on fire.

The wind up here was the same. Our fires were sparked by lightening as well. We had to go out into it to move my truck and stock trailer to a safer spot. It took a couple hours to flush the dust out of our eyes afterward. We let the horses eat the property down to dust, as we do every year, prepping for fire season. Which kinda sucks because there's a perpetual layer of red dust on everything inside the house. :-/

We have some of the best fire crews in the country. The problem is with the Forestry Dept's restrictions on clearing for forest health and fire defense. The El Dorado Hotshots that saved our house in '14 saved our friend's house in the Bay Area. Story

The 97,700 acre King Fire that forced us to evacuate for weeks in '14 was arson. It was started in multiple locations of remote, rugged terrain. It immediately became a rampaging wind-driven beast that took 27 days to control. As with the current fires, many people had only moments to escape.

The last update I heard on the wine valley fires: pushing toward 200,000 acres with the death toll at 31 and expected to rise. Frown The rescue and support efforts for people and animals by agencies and by thousands of citizens is humbling.

Thank you for your kind words @2. You understand the devastating trauma, even for those who return to find their homes still standing; only having to deal with smoke damage. Right now our crews up here have the upper hand. Things are looking good.

Thanks also to you other members that shared kind, compassionate, and logical input. There ARE still some good people left in the world. Some of them are here. Imagine that!

Jombi, I know the area. My ranch was in the Napa hills. We lived there for many years. I'll keep your peeps in thoughts and prayers too. Help as much as you can, if you can. Even quietly and patiently listening can mean a lot more than you would imagine. Unfortunately, I don't hold out much hope for Silverado Trail, sad to say. :'( Yes, the winds are predicted to ramp up again tonight. Not good.

>>>

"LIVE! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death. LIVE! LIVE! LIVE!" Auntie Mame

>>>

I never asked for trust funds. They were thrust upon me. Have pity.

<<<

Posts: 2696 | Registered: August 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
43,174 Tard Points
Her Royal Tardiness,
The Alpha Purge-Mistress
"Cares With A Fist"
Picture of Traitor Vic
posted Hide Post
Poodles, you stay safe and bug out to your other place before it gets too close.

People who claim they have all the answers for these disasters apparently have never been through one. We lost a few ranchers in a fire in our area and fire is a hellish way to go. If I am ever in one, I DO NOT want to survive. Burns are the worst pain known to man.

Still Poodles, pleeeze ya’ll get and the furr kids to safety. It sounds too close.

Eek

Life's a garden. Dig it!!

Posts: 7629 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish you'd bug out now while you have time to pack. Insurance will replace most of what you leave during a orderly bugout.

"Covfefe!" - Kek vult

Posts: 5590 | Location: SouthCentral Texas | Registered: August 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just looks awful out there.
Hard to believe Paradise can be destroyed so easily..

Posts: 840 | Location:  | Registered: April 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

5 boner points
Picture of chicom
posted Hide Post
Anyone want me to pass any communication to the California State Senator for the 2nd District? I know him personally. His uncle is my neighbor.

posted Hide Post
31 dead at last count. Don't die poodles.

Too bad this isn't in Alaska so the most useless man on Earth could DIAF.

"Covfefe!" - Kek vult

posted Hide Post

"Covfefe!" - Kek vult

posted Hide Post
If I lived there and had no safe way to escape if it came my way..I'd get the hell out of there.

Posts: 840 | Location:  | Registered: April 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
forum mediator
Picture of xromad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Helel ben Shaḥar:
31 dead at last count. Don't die poodles.

Too bad this isn't in Alaska so the most useless man on Earth could DIAF.

Ya know, it's funny in a "you're a dumbass" sort of way, but wishing DIAF on someone because you got temporarily removed from a shitty website is kinda shitty. I'd kick you in your vagina but I don't want to lose my shoe.

Now, what about those carbon credits Cali?? What are we to do about this?

Shinmen, Breezy, I still don't quite understand why you failed to answer the desperate calls for help from your Flag Waving friends in Oregon?

Posts: 10027 | Location: Freeland | Registered: July 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is for far more than that momentary act of stupidity.

"Covfefe!" - Kek vult

posted Hide Post

>>>

"LIVE! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death. LIVE! LIVE! LIVE!" Auntie Mame

>>>

<<<

posted Hide Post
How's your neighborhood, poodles?

"Covfefe!" - Kek vult

posted Hide Post
Still holding. It got a little hairy Sat night. One fire (about 5-6 miles away) took over another 100+ acres, then I think 50 acres more Sun. They expanded the perimeter, dozed more firebreaks, and continued backfiring.

There were half a dozen new ones Sun, all caused by human stupidity - parking on dry grass, tossing cigarettes out of cars, using lawn mowers to cut weeds that should have been cleared months ago. Mower blades vs rocky terrain. WTF. An outbuilding caught fire down below, probably a meth lab or some kind of moronic shit. They snuffed out most of those pretty quick and have the remainder contained. Temp, humidity, and wind have been favorable. Rain predicted for Thurs & Fri. Not a lot but any will help.

We had to take down 2 more trees Sun morning. Last winter's atmospheric river combined with the summer heat was too much for them. One was an old growth pine - 70' height and 75" circumference at the base. That was depressing but it had to be done. The bark was splitting horizontally and it was starting to lean. It would have come down on its own. We're lucky it didn't come down last week in the windstorm.

The smoke is bad. It doesn't matter which way the wind shifts. There are so many fires all over the state. We have the house sealed up; towels on the door thresholds, humidifier & HEPA units running 24/7 along with the house HEPA system.

And... I just now saw a fire truck go by on one of the surveillance cams. Guess I'll log off and check the fire freqs on the scanner. sigh I'm sure we'll be fine but it's wearing me out monitoring stuff and watching proximity. Sleep deprivation. Frown Got the animals and everything set to load & roll if necessary like the last time.
1hi1

>>>

>>>

<<<

4923 Tard Points

God

posted Hide Post
Poodles thank you for keeping us posted. Stay safe.

Posts: 16918 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post