Uncle Bob's World Famous Fora    Uncle Bob's    Uncle Bob's  Hop To Forum Categories  Community Forums  Hop To Forums  Time Out!    Trop. Storm/Hurricane Ida
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Tools

Trop. Storm/Hurricane Ida
 Login/Join

Picture of Brutus
posted
Looks like she's going to be coming in down in the Houma/Morgan City area of Louisiana.

For reference, I'm about 140 miles straight-line distance north-northeast of Houma.

I am Brutus. Or, Lord Brutus if you prefer.

Posts: 2110 | Location: southwest Mississippi | Registered: August 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
five nipple points
Picture of itsme
posted Hide Post
Hmm...you might get a little rain, but with these things ya never know.

.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.=.

Repeal the 19th.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Behind you, look now! | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Brutus
posted Hide Post
Here are various possible landings and tracks.

Posts: 2110 | Location: southwest Mississippi | Registered: August 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Brutus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by itsme:
Hmm...you might get a little rain, but with these things ya never know.

If it takes one of those more central tracks it will pass very close to me. Those central tracks are reminiscent of Andrew back in '92, the eye of which passed right between here (Brookhaven) and Natchez.

The hopeful sign is that as of now they're projecting it to get down to tropical storm strength not long after it makes landfall.

We'll see.

1dunno1

43,174 Tard Points
Her Royal Tardiness,
The Alpha Purge-Mistress
"Cares With A Fist"
Picture of Traitor Vic
posted Hide Post
Another Katrina? About the same date too.

Hopefully not.

My easy-going nature is gettin' sorely fuckin' tested.

Posts: 9188 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Brutus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Traitor Vic:
Another Katrina? About the same date too.

Hopefully not.

Katrina was 8/29 if I recall correctly, but this one doesn't look to have nearly the potential deadliness.

Supposed to be down to trop. storm strength after only getting a little ways inland, according to what they're projecting right now.

Still always a crap shoot though.

1dunno1

posted Hide Post
Be ready for worst case scenario Wink
Good luck

>>>

"LIVE! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death. LIVE! LIVE! LIVE!" Auntie Mame

>>>

I never asked for trust funds. They were thrust upon me. Have pity.

<<<

Posts: 3916 | Registered: August 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Brutus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raisedbypoodles:
Be ready for worst case scenario Wink
Good luck

Oh yeah.

Topped off the gas in my truck a couple of hours ago even though I was only a shade under 3/4 of a tank. Have plenty of non-perishable food at the house, even if I'm reduced to eating whole kernel corn cold straight out of the can. Big Grin

I was without power after Katrina for 11 days and muddled through OK. I just hope this storm doesn't cost me a truck like K did.

posted Hide Post
Ouch! Eek

>>>

"LIVE! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death. LIVE! LIVE! LIVE!" Auntie Mame

>>>

<<<

Picture of Brutus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ouch! Eek

Now, the really funny part of the story.

I drove it around like that for about another 3 weeks.

A big oak came crashing down between the truck and my house and one big limb of the oak cratered the cab (about 12" dia.) Unlike most, I had the good sense to fill up with gas the day before, so the truck was sitting there with a full tank, bashed all to hell!

After I got the tree cut off of it I cranked it up just to see if it would run OK. Everything else about the truck was fine! Cranked and ran fine, AC blew cold, radio played, the whole nine. So I drove it around like that for another 3 weeks until I had a check in hand from the ins. company.

It was about 8 years old with 90K miles and was probably only worth about 7500, but the repair cost would've been well north of 10K, so they just totaled it out.

Thankfully that was the only casualty my family suffered from Katrina.

Smile

forum mediator
Picture of xromad
posted Hide Post
I knew it! You're a fucking Yankee!!!!!

Who else would live in a town

"named after the town of Brookhaven, New York, by founder Samuel Jayne in 1818. "

Tell your doctor right away if any of these rare but very serious side effects occur: neck/back pain, swelling face/arms/hands/feet, chest pain, fast heartbeat, confusion, seizures, loss of consciousness.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Freeland | Registered: July 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Brutus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xromad:

"named after the town of Brookhaven, New York, by founder Samuel Jayne in 1818. "

And the icing on the cake.........

This is LINCOLN county.

lmao

forum mediator
Picture of xromad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brutus:
quote:

This is LINCOLN county.

lmao

You probably live on Black St.!

Tell your doctor right away if any of these rare but very serious side effects occur: neck/back pain, swelling face/arms/hands/feet, chest pain, fast heartbeat, confusion, seizures, loss of consciousness.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Freeland | Registered: July 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cowbellist
Picture of Jefiner
posted Hide Post
I recommend cheezits and bourbon. Best prep shit ever.

Hope you see nothing but light rain and gentle breezes.

Don't pet the fluffy murder cow.

Posts: 3830 | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Brutus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is LINCOLN county.

lmao

You probably live on Black St.!

No, but there *IS* one family of "them" on my street, in an otherwise all honkey neighborhood.

And, coincidentally, "they" have only been living here for just a little over a year, but have had the cops show up at their house twice already. I've lived in this same spot for over 26 years and in all that time there has only been one other call for the police on this street to respond to bad behavior.

Roll Eyes

forum mediator
Picture of xromad
posted Hide Post
You might want to close yer windows.....

Good luck.

posted Hide Post
Brutus what's going on down there? I'm reading some scary sheet! Eek

>>>

>>>

<<<

43,174 Tard Points
Her Royal Tardiness,
The Alpha Purge-Mistress
"Cares With A Fist"
Picture of Traitor Vic
posted Hide Post
Told ya so. Knew this was going to be Katrina #2, even the date.

Load up the school buses, get to the Astrodome, oh the humanity! The levee, the levee, it will break.

Chocolate City is in the bullseye again.

Lightning never strikes twice, but giant hurricanes do.

God help em all.

My easy-going nature is gettin' sorely fuckin' tested.

Posts: 9188 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Brutus
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bad storm coming, just like many times before.

Honestly, I think a lot of the "OMG! OMG! OMG!" type of stuff you see on TV is the typical post-Katrina reaction whenever a storm is coming. Shit, people didn't react this badly in the years after Camille, and that was the worst thing to ever hit this part of the country, but that was back in the old days of the 70s when people weren't such drama queens. Camille had max sustained winds of 175 with minimum central pressure of 900 mb, and gusts that broke the instruments set up for measuring wind speed because they only went up to 200.

We'll get blown away or we won't. Shit, this is big-time tornado country already. We get sort of fatalistic about these things.

Smile

Picture of JimmyB.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Bad storm coming, just like many times before.

Honestly, I think a lot of the "OMG! OMG! OMG!" type of stuff you see on TV is the typical post-Katrina reaction whenever a storm is coming. Shit, people didn't react this badly in the years after Camille, and that was the worst thing to ever hit this part of the country, but that was back in the old days of the 70s when people weren't such drama queens. Camille had max sustained winds of 175 with minimum central pressure of 900 mb, and gusts that broke the instruments set up for measuring wind speed because they only went up to 200.

We'll get blown away or we won't. Shit, this is big-time tornado country already. We get sort of fatalistic about these things.

Smile

But in these days of climate change hysteria every event like this is overplayed..
Will it cause harm and extreme damage surely it will.. And life will resume in the aftermath..

Posts: 2176 | Location:  | Registered: April 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post