Uncle Bob's World Famous Fora    Uncle Bob's    Uncle Bob's  Hop To Forum Categories  Community Forums  Hop To Forums  Time Out!    Ordered a propane refridgerator / freezer
Go
New
Find
Tools

Ordered a propane refridgerator / freezer
 Login/Join

What Can Go Wrong
Picture of Charlie
posted
A few years back our old Servel gave up the ghost. We had considered getting a new one for awhile but kept putting it off. Well we ordered a 21 cubic foot one. I did a ton of research on different makes and models. By far the EZ Freeze comes out on top. Should be here in a few weeks. $2,600 delivered to our door.

I had a nice talk with the rep. She said that they are anticipating being overwhelmed with orders shortly. Spring is their busy season and with this Texas grid issue they are gearing up. Since the covid outbreak they have been back ordered a full year for propane freezers and don't see that lightening up anytime soon. The newer ones are way more efficient with fuel consumption than the old ones. If you want one, I suggest going for it now and avoid the rush.

Obama Sucks!

Posts: 11686 | Registered: May 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are nice to have. And with the cost of a conventional electric fridge getting stupid to the moon, the price isn't looking so bad anymore, either.

Posts: 4561 | Registered: June 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What Can Go Wrong
Picture of Charlie
posted Hide Post
The new ones look just like a conventional fridge. The bodies for the one I ordered are made by Maytag in Indiana. I looked at other manufacturers and found one with the exact same layout / body. I also looked at some made for medical facilities that are combo electric / propane. Their market is rural clinics where power outages can destroy a lot of drugs in a hurry. They cost about double. The cooling technology has not changed much in many decades. What has changed is the controls and efficiency. The old ones used over 400% more propane and created a lot more waste gasses that in an enclosed environment can be a problem. Those old Servels were recalled decades ago due to the many carbon monoxide deaths.

Obama Sucks!

Posts: 11686 | Registered: May 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cowbellist
Picture of Jefiner
posted Hide Post
My only experience with these is with my RV fridge, which can get cold enough to freeze veggies. Very effective.

"There is nothing here but enjoyment. It's a buffet of madness and quackery, mixed with a bit of crazed horn dogs and thingsthatgobumpinthenight. -- Traitor Vic

Posts: 3569 | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post