Uncle Bob's World Famous Fora    Uncle Bob's    Uncle Bob's  Hop To Forum Categories  Community Forums  Hop To Forums  Time Out!    So if a heavy chain-smoker (one that rips the filters off of cigarettes) finally starts coughing and can't stop....
Page 1 ... 100 101 102 103
Go
New
Find
Tools

So if a heavy chain-smoker (one that rips the filters off of cigarettes) finally starts coughing and can't stop....
 Login/Join

4923 Tard Points

God

posted Hide Post
One more bump.

Posts: 16727 | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1000 tard points for ignoring any and all advice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nikoli Krushev:
One more bump.

...which merits a post or two..

The laundromat is still shut. The landlord is still not being paid his rent. People call me and ask if I'll sell them the washerette all the time, lol. I've heard that the Notaire has several buyers interested, plus one promised...he keeps telling the guy that 'there is a problem with the inheritance', and the poor sod has recenty sold his antiques business and his shop in the hopes of buying the laundry and funding his retirement...He's a nice man, I feel bad for him, maybe I ought to say something.

Lol...with the criminal tribunal, he means.

It will be interesting to see how this works out. The local Notaire didn't do his research, and let a criminal buy a business...not only illegal, but the criminal's own lawyer (also gog's dominatrice), had loaned said criminal the $$ to buy it with.

Princess, the criminal's daughter, has now flunked out of law school and has moved to Paris, and is living, and being mentored by, this same lawyer.

Doesn't give a lot of hope for any betterment of the justice system. At least not at the lower, notarial, end. Our poor old local Notary Public is shitting in his pants, deathly afraid that his role in this will cost him.

Big Parisian lawyers consider backwater notaires as dumb provincial hicks, and fodder as fall guys...and so he may be. And the local landlord, mini crook slumlord that he may be, is also suffering. Having watched the both of them and their antics, these past 25 years, I'd say it was Karma...except the lawyer in Paris doesn't seem impacted at all, except for the minimal loan she made to gog, that will never be paid back.

Wait...Princess is living with her....haha, Karma.

Posts: 16778 | Location: France | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of snort
posted Hide Post
Whew! Quite a story.

Congrats on the conditional release, susie.

sniff

Posts: 363 | Location: I haven't really discovered that yet | Registered: April 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4923 Tard Points

God

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snort:
Whew! Quite a story.

Congrats on the conditional release, susie.

sniff

Sure as hell is.

4923 Tard Points

God

posted Hide Post
Susie how are the kids?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Susie how are the kids?

They're all doing ok, thanks for asking.

The eldest, 26, has got a year left on his phd trout biology thing, living near toulouse, and he's off to new zealand in a month or so for a trout conference. I think he'll be looking around for going back there for work, once his thesis is done. His german/english bird biologist (phd in bluetits) girlfriend finishes her thesis in the new year, and I'm hoping to be made a granny before they go off to new zealand forever.

Number two kid, 24, is just this day going over to the alps to work the winter season in the same restaurant he worked, last year. He spent the summer season in Bordeaux. He likes the work and it seems he makes lots of money, so it's needed ce to see that this particular wild child of mine is doing ok. He's on his way to visit both of his brothers, tonight, after stopping by to see his sister on the way to the other side of france. I was too much of a detour to stop and see on the way, and I couldn't get to to my daughters house to catch him there, too bad.

Number three, my daughter, 21, is still working as an animator in public elementary schools, plus still doing her camp couselor bit during the summers. This year, the school she's in is a very difficult inner-city one, with the kids being mostly new immigrants, and from at least eight different countries, each with another language. The parents, as most of the kids, don't speak french. It's very rough, and many of the kids don't give a shit about learning anything, plus a goox number of the girls expect to be married off at a young age, so school is not important for them. The staff is certainly overworked, stressed, and frustrated, but they have hope for best as the school year moves along. My girl has just been promoted to one of the school district's new posts...teaching kids about health and nutrition...I suppose they want to try to head off health problems that come from shit food, so there's a huge thing with changing the school menus, teaching kids to cook, sport and excercise, etc., which makes sense for everyone, especially the future costs of France's socialized healthcare system. Anyway, she's happy, gets way more pay, moves around to different schools for this (five candidates were chosen), and gets to go to school to learn more towards her ultimate goal (whatever that is, as it seems to evolve, but stays with education, young kids, handicapped and problematic kids, and social work).

The youngest is now 19. He lives the closest to me, about 20 miles over. Two ag jobs, one with ducks, one with vegetables, and for now he's gone somewhere north of toulouse to drive giant harvesters for corn, sunflowers, and who knows what else, until november or so. He took his van, but the combine boss let him use a very nice trailer, and from the sounds of it, he's having a great time and earning a fortune. His girlfriend, his car, his house, his rugby club, and anything else is simply waiting for him to come back, eventually. I go check his mailbox and watch his tv for a bit, every week or so. Weed his flowers, take hot showers, fill up his freezer/pantry for when he gets back.

The three brothers are meeting up for dinner, this evening, as they're all either in, near, or passing by each other.
I've asked all four for pictures of today...but there's been no ping on my phone just yet.

The big dog is fine. The medium one died from tick bite paralysis (who the fuck knew that even existed?). The little squeaky mini poodle is still here. The cat is fine. The gerbil is fine. Some asshole let the air out of all four of the tires of my car...but the neighbors found it and pumped up the tires before I even knew they were flat.

I'm on unemployment since the french tarts finished, although I occasionally get called over to the basque country to work in a sheep cheese factory, where the people are nice and the cadence is a lot cooler than the tarts ever were. Lol, manpower services advised me to not be my usual talkative self, and be sure not to say "hi!", as I usually do (the basque people are very reserved), but I couldn't help myself...in the end, it was perfectly ok and I got gold star performance ratings and now get called back when they need someone. Lol, I don't think it was the "hi!", one way or another, though.

French unemployment is very, very generous. After working 13 months at tarts, and not really too long at various corn, ham, and sausage factories...they give me almost more than I earned during the last year as unemployment, plus it will ladt for 295 days, and more if I work from time to time at the cheese place. Of course, when I work a temp job, the pay amount is deducted from the dole money...but not the gasoline, etc., of course. I don't mind, as going to work every so often is good for the head/brain/mind/morale. Plus I wouldn't want the temp services to forget my name and number.

In the meantime, I have this little enterprise brewing...

What with the kids having flown the coop, the tarts and all being miles away and pretty physical, the 60th birthday come and gone, and with thinking that a bit of inspiration was needed.....

I went ahead and did all the legal bits for a small business adventure. You'll never guess...

Yep! Headlice. The ole mayo clinic.
The aim is to eradicate them all. Final solution; headlice. And fleas, ticks, bedbugs, mosquitoes, ants, cockaroaches....

I'm legal as of August.

I've een preparing for the past year and a half. This big old house is now also a stockroom, a preparation room, and a small living space. Most of the inventory is in place. There have been a few hiccups, but we're good to go.

Tomorrow morning is the first market stall day, at our own local market. I'm just up late, getting the last minute touches in place. Table, check, parasol, check, fancy soap, check, lousekits, check, tick pinch kits, check, cashbox, check, business cards, check, etc...

This should be lotsa fun. I'll post pictures over on Facebook for y'all.

Of course, what I earn also gets the dole deducted, but that's ok. If it all goes to plan, with a bit of luck, hard work, and flair, I can be soon earning more than the dole AND helping to eradicate problem bugs. Do good, earn money, have fun...what more could anyone want?

Posts: 16778 | Location: France | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4923 Tard Points

God

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Your kids turned out great and I give you accolades for that. Keep up the good work.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the update. Your kids turned out great and I give you accolades for that. Keep up the good work.

Lol, people keep stopping me in town and telling me the same thing...except you just know they also wanna say that in no way did they ever expect that. They have no fucking idea! They think I'm a kind of marginal crazy hippie, or something. Like, I tell my sister about that and she laughs, cause she knows I'm the most square, staid, boring, dull, straight, and conformist person in the world.
Living here and the townfolk thinking what they do about me is the funniest joke ever. It's actually given me quite a lot of freedom to grow into my real self...see, I always want people to like and approve of me. I feel really sad when old ladies think I'm not correct, like. But no matter what I do or how I try, they still think what they like...so, in the end, I said 'fuckit', and did as I pleased. Well, nothing way out or impolite or anything..mjust not giving a toss what they thought of me, and just enjoying raising the kids and living here and doing whatever. Ok, ok...still barefoot and braless, although no more mysterious pregnancies. I finally figured out that what people thought about me was none of my business.

It seemed to have worked. The kids fit in perfectly. They're 'good in their skin', as the french say.

And I'm determined to have fun with this headlouse thing.
Funny about that, with the kids....years ago they said they'd disown me if I did that as a business. Then, when I decided to go ahead with it, not any of them were at all supportive, and wouldn't even help me figure out how to do publicity stuff on a computer, help with paperwork, or anything. Up to yesterday, they said all I'd manage was to lose money, waste time, and look crazy.

Then...since today, when I told them I'd be at the market, and posted my little laminated poster....haha! if they didn't call or text to say bravo, offer to have their hair mayoed and combed in public, make me a video, show me how to use twitter, build me a website.....

Lol, like magic!

4923 Tard Points

God

posted Hide Post
quote:
It seemed to have worked. The kids fit in perfectly. They're 'good in their skin', as the french say.

That comment should prove the fact you did a great job as a mom.

posted Hide Post
I will bump just to get Niks bullshit off the top. Nothing else to do. Land of Gorch is boring right now.

Posts: 762 | Registered: June 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Alt-Lite
posted Hide Post
Cool beans, Susie! And you can make macaroni or potato salad on the side with a little inventory.

Covfefe!

Posts: 5578 | Location: SouthCentral Texas | Registered: August 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4923 Tard Points

God

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alt-Lite:
Cool beans, Susie! And you can make macaroni or potato salad on the side with a little inventory.

Thumbs Up

4923 Tard Points

God

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Favog:
I will bump just to get Niks bullshit off the top. Nothing else to do. Land of Gorch is boring right now.

So will I. Bump

posted Hide Post
So I'm working this week way deep into the Basque country, pat the foothills and practically in the mountains, a few minutes from spain. It's a nice, if long, drive...52 kms each way...filled with cows, sheep, a beautiful autumn, huge basque farmhouses, haymaking, and fields of grass instead of corn and sunflowers.

I'm spending a week filling bottles of espelette pepper flavored gin, and then putting a little seal and ribbon on the bottle to make it look nice. It's a tiny business, and there are just three of us in the place, with really hands-on machines. I get doused with splashings of pimented gin, and have to wonder what might happen if I get pulled over on the way home, as I smell and look like an alcoholic granny, lol.

It's an ancient and family run before business. The matriarch, who is well over eighty, can't seem to take up retirement, and comes downstairs (the family all has apartments upstairs) in her fluffy houseslippers (and sometimes in her dressing gown and nightie, I'm told), and creates hell for everyone. Seems employees don't last long because of her. I'm joking st a temp worker, so I have nothing to lose by making conversation with her, which might have worked...although she did keep telling me that she couldn't understand me. I just kept on with a smile, even as she tried every haughty/snobby/look-down-her-nose trick in the book. Working there on a permanant basis, or being one of her employed kids has got to be difficult.

And this job has a lunch break, one where the place shuts and we getvto go out for fresh air. I walk into the village and have lunch at a little restaurant...what with the gas and the lunch, it's an expensive job for me, but I'm treating it as a little vacation.

The thing is, I'm on the very generous french unemployment at the moment, so every temp job I get, the pay is counted and the unemployment gets deducted. Not the gas or restaurant bill, though. Still, the way it works is not bad...I get almost what I earned during the french tart period as unemployment money, and for almost one year. If I work during this period, that's counted at the end of the unemployment, and prolongs it. It's very generous, but some people use it as kind nd of a vacation time, wirking a year or so, then going on the dole for a year or so, then working, then stopping, etc...

Sounds ok, but if the temp office calls me, I take what they offer, if only to get out of the house and away from the headlouse paraphernalia.

The unemployment office also gave me the choice of taking half the dole money upfront and using it to kickstart my business...tempting, but I didn't accept the offer, as I have most of my stock, already, and prefer to keep a generous monthly amount coming in while I build up the louse attack plan.

I think they offer the business upfront money so that the unemployment figures are kept down. And also to help people that might be able to make a go of it.

So a beautiful, warm and sunny week, spent decorating gin bottles, an indian summer of beauty. I can wear what I like fir this job, so I wear sweatpants, a teeshirt, and flipflops...no white boiler suit, gloves, mask, plastic sleeves and apron, heavy shoes, socks, or hairnet. A bit of occasional clanking machinery, but there's actually a turned-on radio. And except for the occasional matriarch or machine operating coworker, I get to be by myself to calmly and quietly do my job.

And the place smells lovely....all wine and macerating fruit. There are huge new and shiny stainless steel wine tanks in one area, and the other end has really old and funky looking brick and copper tubed distillation chambers with old wood fire doors at the bottom of the vats, with little round porthole windows where you can see the cooked pears simmering away.

Picture of Alt-Lite
posted Hide Post
I like gin. How much to mail a few litres to the US, Susie?

Covfefe!

Posts: 5578 | Location: SouthCentral Texas | Registered: August 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alt-Lite:
I like gin. How much to mail a few litres to the US, Susie?

Dunno. But as today is my last day, I'll ask if they give discounts for the 'declassed' bottles, the ones that are imperfect. My neighbors want some of the Williams pear eaux de vie.

The tart factory had great imperfect pies for less that two euros, the cheese factory had imperfect petit basque cheese at only six euros each, the ham factory would sell the ugly whole bayonne hams for less than half the supermarket price, and the pig abbatoire had a shop where the employees got a huge discount.

Got headlice? I could send you one of my lousekits.