Uncle Bob's World Famous Fora    Uncle Bob's    Uncle Bob's  Hop To Forum Categories  Community Forums  Hop To Forums  Time Out!    So if a heavy chain-smoker (one that rips the filters off of cigarettes) finally starts coughing and can't stop....
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 104
Go
New
Find
Tools

So if a heavy chain-smoker (one that rips the filters off of cigarettes) finally starts coughing and can't stop....
 Login/Join

1000 tard points for ignoring any and all advice
posted
...and the machine that gets breathed into that's meant to clear the nose and throat doesn't work after a few weeks....and the voice is getting pretty badly cracked and gravely...and the docs have scheduled a vocal chord cleaning and biopsy....

How long do you reckon you've got to live? Or speak?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Black Seal>,

Posts: 16787 | Location: France | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Useless Eater
Picture of CanadaSue
posted Hide Post
Depends on the results of the biopsy.

Hater Without Portfolio

Posts: 18317 | Location: Kingston, Canada | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The coughing started way before Christmas, the voice just after.

This is a man that's been chain-smoking for almost 50 years...rips the filters off the cigarettes or rolls his own. Gets up at night to go and smoke.

The docs have scheduled the biopsy for April third. How long do the results take to get back, I wonder? And if they are positive results, then what happens?

Yeah, yeah, it's GOG. We still are somewhat friends, I still have my own clients at his business, my son still works for him, and our daughters are close friends.

Please don't tell me that I will soon be taking care of a crotchety old dying man.

How long does it take to die from this, anyway? And is it painful?

Posts: 16787 | Location: France | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Virgin

posted Hide Post
can take awhile, might even be able to stop it with cutting stuff out...there are people who lose the voice box and can't talk but live.

I hear it hurts.

Dunno if you will have to take care of him much....not sure how much he'd let ya anyways....

Lib said:
making baseless assumptions is the national sport of UncleBobistan

what you wish for me I wish you twice ..

Demonizaiton of other viewpoints is a primary tool of propagandists who seek to de-humanize those who see things differently which makes it all too easy for those on the edge to use violence with indifference.

You are beautiful cuz you
are there, not there cuz you are beautiful.

Freedom is an Idea. It is not a Place.

Posts: 32503 | Location: SoCal  | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Useless Eater
Picture of CanadaSue
posted Hide Post
Again Susie - can't tell anything without biopsy results. IF he has cancer - what type, what exact location & stage?

I don't know how long it will take to get results - depends how busy the lab is.

Hater Without Portfolio

Posts: 18317 | Location: Kingston, Canada | Registered: May 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Virgin

posted Hide Post
I've been in the OR when they sent the sample stat cuz if it was + they would cut more and if neg, they close the person up.

Lib said:

Demonizaiton of other viewpoints is a primary tool of propagandists who seek to de-humanize those who see things differently which makes it all too easy for those on the edge to use violence with indifference.

Posts: 32503 | Location: SoCal  | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyd:
can take awhile, might even be able to stop it with cutting stuff out...there are people who lose the voice box and can't talk but live.

I hear it hurts.

Dunno if you will have to take care of him much....not sure how much he'd let ya anyways....

Haha...Karma! He'll up and die if he can't be always screaming at people.

Oh, he'll let me. He's such a miserable old git, that nobody else will show him the time of day. And his gay friends will run away, as they do whenever things aren't hunky-dory. And his business will have to be seen to...and kids...cats...

JF the doc said to me the other day...Susie, don't get tied down with a drinker. You've just gotten free of being a mom and you don't need another kind of dependant, you need better. Shit! Is this any better?

Honesty, though....I can't see how to refuse. How can I not help? And his daughter is the only one of his kids still speaking to him, the others are grown and gone.

He'll let me. And he'll hate it. And then he'll ask me to help him end it.

Purged with 1000 handitard points
Picture of handcrafted
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susie:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sandyd:

Like you did with your dog? panic

Give a liberal a fish and he will ask for seconds. Teach a liberal to fish and he will file for unemployment. -Anonymous

A liberal is man who will give away everything he doesn't own." ~ Frank Dane

"The world will soon wake up to the reality that everyone is broke and can collect nothing from the bankrupt, who are owed unlimited amounts by the insolvent, who are attempting to make late payments on a bank holiday in the wrong country, with an unacceptable currency, against defaulted collateral, of which nobody is sure who holds title." Author unknown

"The worst is yet to come." Handcrafted

Posts: 38276 | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by handcrafted:
quote:

Yep.

And when the time comes for me, I hope someone will be there to help, too.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep.

May as well check up on rules of engagement for assisted suicide and get prepared, then.

At least it's a bit more acceptable than it was thirty years ago. If one can count that as a plus.

I've always thought it strange that doing it for a pet was 'humane' but doing it for a human wasn't.

Must be a Christian thing, I suppose.

Posts: 4203 | Location: my nightmare | Registered: November 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Drop Dead Fred:
quote:

Yep.

May as well check up on rules of engagement for assisted suicide and get prepared, then.

At least it's a bit more acceptable than it was thirty years ago. If one can count that as a plus.

I've always thought it strange that doing it for a pet was 'humane' but doing it for a human wasn't.

Must be a Christian thing, I suppose.

Really. Dogs can get put down and horses shot, but that baby with Trisomie 17 is still alive and slowly dying in the hospital and nobody is doing a damn thing about it except to wait and watch.

If that were my baby, I'd go in with a little bottle of ether and a plastic bag and make sure the poor little thing wasn't going to have to starve to death in order to die.

Virgin

posted Hide Post
I hope he knows how to do it and doesn't make you do anything. If I remember right, the dog stressed you out.

Lib said:

posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope he knows how to do it and doesn't make you do anything. If I remember right, the dog stressed you out.

Yeah, me, too. The dog wasn't so easy....well, it was for the dog, as far as I could tell.

I don't mind holding a hand or being company at the end, and I suppose I wouldn't balk at ether or plastic bags or pills. But he has a couple of shotguns and has mentioned them before for this sort of thing and that might not be possible for me.

Virgin

posted Hide Post
A shot gun should be something he does himself.

Asking you to do it, leaves you open to a murder charge, susie....

Lib said:

posted Hide Post
quote:
A shot gun should be something he does himself.

Asking you to do it, leaves you open to a murder charge, susie....

Yeah, that's what I figure, too. But I don't think shotguns are so easy to do this with...you could risk still being alive with a very messed up face at the end.

Virgin

posted Hide Post
Actually, all of the choices are ones he can do on his own....

think about that....exactly what part is necessary for you to actually do?

should be nothing more than hold his hand or come over AFTER, to call if he splats his head on the wall

Lib said:

Virgin

posted Hide Post
I've seen a few shows where the shotgun was held somehow and pointed right at the head...and the person used a stick or something to push the trigger.

Fancy ones use a whole set up with a rope to pull it.

Seems too messy to me.

Lib said:

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, all of the choices are ones he can do on his own....

think about that....exactly what part is necessary for you to actually do?

should be nothing more than hold his hand or come over AFTER, to call if he splats his head on the wall

True.

All in all, he's a fairly spiritual man (or used to be), and I'm betting he's already thought long and hard about this...unless his enraged side takes over...

Who knows? Perhaps he'll go in one of the same ways he's murdered someone else before...forgive and forgiveness and all that.

Virgin

posted Hide Post
Sounds like he has learned ways of killing so unless he gets too freaked out, he will be able to make a choice for him that works or wait for it natural, which does work too.

For your own sake, stay out of it as much as you can.

It's one thing to change his bed, and a whole different thing to pull a trigger.
Switzerland--they still got go in walking?

Lib said: